Our Research Institute
  • To promote history, original historical Research and scholarship.
  • To gather, collect, own, hold, preserve and make available for
    study appropriate historical artifacts, books, manuscripts,
    papers, photographs, and other records.
  • To arrange, create, maintain and promote appropriate historical
    exhibits and displays.
  • To establish and maintain a historical digital research library and
    archives.
  • To encourage the suitable marking of places of historical interest.
  • To bring together those people interested in history, encourage
    public interest in history, sponsor historical and cultural heritage
    meetings, activities, programs, and events for the public, and
    issue publications in any format
Chartered by the New York State Board of Regents, Department of Education, University of New York - March 2014
Donald Treadwell
Poosepatuck Reservation
Old School House
Poosepatuck Reservation
Long Island Indigenous People Museum & Research Institute
Freetown, East Hampton
FOWLER - HORTON HOUSE - Freetown, East
Hampton,
It is believed to be George Fowler's house that was moved to
Freetown.  
Caption on back of photograph reads: The Montauk
Indians, who like the other Indians of Long Island and New
England, had been experts at off shore whaling. They taught the
early settlers how to whale. The whaling skill of the Long Island
and New England Indians became known the world over when
they began to ship out as deep sea whalers
. ..From Sagg
Harbour to new Bedford, the whaling skill of the eastern
Algonkian peoples was undisputed. Uncle John, as he was
known to members of the Montauk tribe, was the last Montauk
who shipped on whaling vessels that sailed around the Horn...
This is a rare photo of the Montauk whaler and his wife in front
of their home, probably around the turn of the 20th century
."  
The JOHN HORTON shown in front of the house are
probably descendants of the JOHN HORTON born 1817 and
died Nov. 28, 1879 in Freetown.  His wife was JULIA
MONTGOMERY.  
[SOURCE: East Hampton Library - Long Island Collection]